If you enjoy coastal sailing at weekends and occasional short holidays throughout the season then this Cobra 850 could be the sailboat for you. She benefits from a full renovation and is ready to sail away. Many of the features are whet you would expect in a higher end modern cruiser. The boat is clean and comfortable both above and below deck. She sails well and is easy to handle single handed. She's perfect for 2 and easily capable of accomodating 3 or 4.
5 berths made up in 1 cabin, saloon and quarter berth on Stbd side
Nelson spinflow butane cooker and 2 burner stove and grill
1 x head compartment with Jabsco head, handbasin and cold shower
Webasto 2kw diesel heating
Teak and white vinyl interior construction (new 2013)
Red patterned upholstery (new 2014)
6" headroom in saloon
Danish Bukh DV20 20 hp 2 cylinder diesel engine, reconditioned 2012
Sea water cooled
Shaft drive via stuffing box
3 blade fixed propeller
Serviced October 2016
Fuel consumption < 0.5 gallons/hour
Cruising speed of 5kts, top speed 6kts
12volt electric system
2 x domestic batteries (2013)
1 x engine battery (2013)
Engine alternator with 240v battery charger and solar panel
Sore power connection
1 x 45ltr stainless steel fuel tank
2 x 100ltr plastic water tanks
Jabsco water pump
Jabsco activated carbon water filter changed annually
Rigging, Sails and Tackle
Stainless steel rigging (new 2013)
Dyneema running rigging
Plastimo roller furler for head sail
Stack Pack lazy bag system (2013)
2 x Genoa 2 speed winches
2 x halyards
2 x winch handles
8oz Dacron Mainsail (Arun 2014)
8oz 130% Genoa (Arun 2013)
CQR anchor and Kedge anchor
Renovation work prior to current owner
- New tinted Perspex windows made and fitted
- New tinted Perspex washboards
- New Lewmar forward hatch with tinted Perspex
- Hull re-sprayed (2-pack paint) and polished (original coach roof gel coat remains untouched and is still in good condition).
- Keel and below the waterline stripped back, faired and anti-fouled.
- New mahogany rubbing strake installed to replace existing.
- All underwater skin fittings renewed (and most of those above water level too)
- The highly regarded Bukh DV20, 2x cylinder diesel engine came from a known Westerly Fulmar that had been lightly used during its life. It has been fully reconditioned by the previous owner (qualified mechanic) and installed with new exhaust hose and skin fittings. (£100)
Work carried out by current owner (since 2012)
- The mast was de-stepped during the years of storage at the boatyard. Prior to re-stepping the mast was fully checked and completely rewired. New fittings include Echomax radar reflector, VHF whip antenna, Windex (type) direction indicator, LED masthead tricolour light, LED deck light and steaming light.
- The mast was re-stepped with all new standing rigging (receipt available). (£1100)
- All running rigging is new (2014) as are the mainsail/stackpack, the 130% Genoa headsail and the Plastimo roller reefing system for the headsail (£2000).
- She has a new CJ Marine Sprayhood with stainless steel frame and grab handle (£900)
- Sails, stackpack and sprayhood removed each Winter to prevent deterioration.
- The fresh water system has been completely renewed and includes plastic tanks towards the stern (removed and scrubbed/cleaned – subsequent annual chemical clean), a 12v Jabsco pump, cold water tap and shower head in the heads, cold water tap and Jabsco activated carbon filter in the galley which means the water is very drinkable. The filter cartridge can be renewed each season or when the filter stops being effective. (£250)
- New Access hatches fitted in cockpit. (£150)
- New guard rail/wires (part new 2013) (£200)
- Cheek block guides for headsail winches (new 2012) (£50)
- Rudder removed, checked and bushes renewed
- Boarding ladder refitted to transom
- The stainless steel fuel tank was removed, emptied and steam cleaned. The fuel system was completely renewed including hoses and primary filter (£100)
- Stuffing gland repacked and adjusted as required
- Prop shaft seal renewed and propeller re-bedded (£100)
- Engine compartment repainted prior to engine refit.
- Engine anode and hull anodes renewed.
- The boat has been fully re-wired and she comes complete with all the instrumentation needed for comfortable navigation in UK and Irish waters (£2000).
- 12 way Switch panel (£100)
- 2 x 110 AH Domestic batteries (sealed) (£150)
- 1 x Engine cranking battery (£90)
- Isolator switch (checked and connections renewed)
- Engine wiring loom connections all renewed
- Engine control panel overhauled and reconditioned
- Engine temperature sensor renewed (£80)
- Alternator tested
- Engine rev counter (£50)
- Solar panel and regulator added (£150)
- 12v LED lights throughout (£200)
- NASA Clipper Duet (Log & Depth) instruments and transducers (£150)
- Garmin 750 7” Touch screen chart plotter – mounting and connections for use in the cockpit or at the chart table c/w charts for UK and Ireland (£800)
- Standard Horizon DSC VHF ships radio (registered with MMSI and call sign) (£120)
- AIS Receiver (£100)
- NMEA 1835 connection feeding GPS signal to VHF/DSC from Chart Plotter
- NMEA 1835 connection feeding AIS signal to Chart Plotter
- VHF/AIS/FM Antenna splitter (£60)
- Raymarine ST1000+ Tiller Pilot installed (£425)
- 12v Cigar Lighter Power socket
- 240v Shore Power, RCD and distribution in saloon. (£100)
- Sony Tuner/CD/Aux Player installed c/w saloon and waterproof cockpit speakers (£150)
- A 2kw Webasto blown air diesel heater has been installed. Fresh air is drawn in from the cockpit, warmed and blown into the cockpit to create a very comfortable environment. Exhaust gases vent through a stainless skin fitting at the transom. Essential kit for UK waters, especially early and late in the season but occasionally in summer too! (£500+)
- All the head and side linings have been renewed with foamed vinyl that is easily wiped clean.
- Most of the cushions have been re-upholstered (£300).
- All interior woodwork tidied-up, rubbed down and re-oiled/varnished.
- New Spinflo Nelson stove along with new gas pipe from gas compartment to galley and new regulator (2013 - £500)
- Engine hatch/stairs have been strengthened and relined with sound proofing insulation
- The bilges have been thoroughly cleaned and painted so that the boat smells clean and fresh
- 2 x new automatic 12v bilge pumps installed (£100)
- Engine 12v bilge pump re-plumbed with new skin fitting
The boat comes with complete documentation for the various systems aboard, receipts, instruction manuals, engine owner’s manual and workshop manual, etc.
Integrated boarding ladder
Masthead and deck level navigation lights
Stainless Steel guardwires
Sprayhood (new 2013)
2 x manual fire extinguishers
Garmin 750 GPS and Plotter (2013)
Nasa Clipper Duet Echo sounder and log (2013)
Standard Horizon GPS (2013)
Raymarine ST1000 Autopilot (2013)
Pwllheli Marine Centre
Pwllheli, Gwynedd LL53 5 YQ