10 of these boats were built for the class between the wars. They were raced competitively as well as being used for coastal cruising around the west coast of Scotland and the Islands. This boat had a complete refit between 1995 - 2003 and was largely rebuilt in present ownership. 2/3 berths, no engine although originally there was an inboard.
Contact: Richard Gregson. 01803 833899. 07886 081657
Wooden Ships Comments
The Scottish Islands Class One Design, designed by Alfred Mylne, was built by McGruer’s for the very competitive racing fleet and as a coastal cruiser for the west coast and the islands. From 1995 this boat was fully restored by the present owner and was relaunched in 2003. Only 12 Islanders were ever built, 5 in 1929, another 5 pre-war ,1 in 1959 and the latest one in 2000. Her current owner has chosen not to re-install an engine but they were designed to have an inboard.
Carvel pitch pine planking on Canadian rock elm bent timbers. Copper and bronze fastened.
Lead keel with bronze keel bolts. The hull was sheathed with epoxy coated woven cloth during the refit to a professional standard under the direction of a professional boatbuilder. The wood keelson, stem, sternpost and transom were all replaced.
Decks and cockpit
Deck beams and carlins replaced in the ’95 – ’03 refit. Also new ply deck, epoxy sheathed.
Mahogany coamings with sheathed ply coachroof deck.
Rig Bermudan sloop (Sail No 4)
New when relaunched in 2003, made by Gayle Heard, Tollesbury.
Total sail area 418 sq ft/39 sq m.
Solid spruce mast, made by A. Garland during the refit. Stainless steel standing rigging and chain plates.
2 /3 berths.
There are 2 full length ‘Pullman’ berths which fold up when not in use. Seating below with full sitting headroom. A 3rd berth is possible under the foredeck.
Lockers under the cockpit seats are accessed from the rear of the cabin.
Drawer for navigation materials. Food storage bin.
Henderson manual bilge pump
10kg Bruce anchor, chain and warp.
2 Southford Road